Saturday, March 30, 2013

White: The Melody of the Curse (2011 Korean Horror Film)




Dear Entertainment Diary,

So I just watched another Korean Horror Film, White: The Melody of the Curse, also known as White: The Melody of Death, and I kinda like it!

For me, it's not a typical horror film which you can understand everything into it just by watching the whole film itself. There are some important scenes but were very unnoticeable and I need to take some hints online or check some pages that contain the complete film list/plot. I don't know why but was I just a lil' bit slow when I was watching it?


Ok, so, it's about a cursed suicidal song wherein the writer/composer seeks revenge to anyone who sang it. Cursed things with revengeful plot lines are typically normal for Asian Horror film, which for me, started to see huge fame since The Ring and The Grudge. It's very typical that I think Asian horror writers and directors have nothing new to offer so I was expecting a natural horror film but this actually made me confused and think so hard just to tie up the story, which is good because I was so attached to the film that I wanna know everything about it.

For me, it's not that scary. Yes, scenes thrilled and scared me but not like what I felt while watching some horror films that I previously watched. BUT still, the just by watching it make feel afraid to go to the bathroom especially the scenes where the spirit/ghost was haunting the characters.

Although I am glad on how the story made me feel confuse and made me search for what was really happening, there are really some parts of the film that have loopholes and stuff which is kind of unbelievable. I.e., the scene where Shin-Ji was crushed by that certain vehicle that rise up the camera, I thought she was dead. Actually, what happened to the first 3 members should've killed them already. Obviously, they should die that time, but no, for the story's sake, all of them were just comatose for I dunno, "weeks?", and then when White (Eun-Joo) is on the peak of popularity, they all woke up at the same time then their characters were also killed near the end. I mean, why let them live if they would also commit suicide in the end? Just so they can blame and accuse Eun Joo for sabotaging them when they were chosen as the main? Tss.


Another thing, the Group Pink Dolls were consisted of four members in the start but when the members was hosptalized one by one, they didn't emphasize nor shown in the film what were the "natural reactions" of the fans? What? The fans were also mesmerized by the song so they didn't care about their idols even when they were hurt BADLY? So why did the fans wanted to save Shin-Ji when she was floating in mid air when her hair was stuck?

But overall, I liked the film for slowly giving us each detail in the film and for not obviously hinting us how the characters will die. 


PLOT (from asianwiki):

Girl group "Pink Dolls" is always pushed into the background by other popular idols. When the girls release their new song "White" - a remake from unknown origins they become instant sensations. 
The four members of "Pink Dolls" include Eun-Joo (Ham Eun-Jung), a former breakdancer, Jenny (Jin Se-Yeon), a singer insecure with hitting high notes, A-Rang (Choi Ah-Ra), a singer addicted to plastic surgery, and Shin-Ji (May Doni Kim) who can't sing, but is good at rapping. As the group becomes more and more popular, jealousy and competitiveness increases as all the girls tries to become the lead singer. But, when a member becomes the lead singer that person falls victim to a horrible accident, one by one. Eun-Joo then realizes that the song "White" is cursed and she attempts to reveal the secret ...
I put this plot because I don't want to tell here the whole story or give mainly about the film. If you want to read the complete plot, wikipedia has it! But I advise you to go and just watch the film instead of reading the whole plot so you can feel what I feel.

Cast (from asianwiki)


Ham Eun-Jung - Eun-Joo
May Doni Kim - Shin-Ji  
Choi Ah-Ra - A-Rang
Jin Se-Yeon - Jenny  
Hwang Woo Seul Hye - Soon-Ye  
Pyeon Jung-Su - Talent Agent
Kim Young-Min - Lee Tae-Yong
Kim Ki-Bang - manager
Choi Min-Chul - Director Choi Tae-Gon
Nam Sang-Ran - member 1 of Jang team


I mentioned earlier about the film not giving me everything I want to know so I need to research about it. I was actually telling you guys about the end of the film, on how the song was played in the videoke and why the last character killed was included to be killed. You'll find out in the wikipedia page, actually. HAHA. And also about who is th on seeking revenge in this film.

OH! And can someone tell me who's the actor who played the sponsor of Eun-Joo? Can't seem to find his name!

The images were taken from Asianwiki.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a question who is the ghost, I mean who is "White" whats her name? Don't realy remember... Sorry!

Anonymous said...

The ghost "White" was just labeled as "White". They never mentioned her name. She was a bullied back-up dancer with white hair who committed suicide after Jan Ye Bing threw acid at her face.

I would like to know who was the actress that portrayed "White".

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cheap international voip calls